The City of London received a Royal Charter from King Edward VI in 1550 to control all markets in Southwark. The charter was confirmed by King Charles II in 1671.
However, the market caused such traffic congestion that in 1754 it was abolished by Act of Parliament.
The same Act gave the parishioners of St Saviour's Church permission to set up a new market on a new site and the market began again in Rochester Yard in 1756.
During the 19th century it became one of London's most important food markets due to its strategic position near the riverside wharves of the Pool of London.
The present buildings were designed in 1851, with additions in the 1860s, and an entrance designed in the art deco style added on Southwark Street in 1932.
The recent revival of the South Bank and the arrival of several high-profile restaurants has had a dramatic effect on Borough Market. What was once a raucous marketplace for the trading of cattle, fish and grain has become one of London's most exotic and sophisticated food markets.
Notable films with scenes filmed in the streets around the market include: Bridget Jones's Diary, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels; and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.